The Summer Scholars Program enables selected undergraduates, generally sophomores and juniors, to conduct in-depth research or creative work with University faculty. Students in the Summer Scholars Program work on their projects full-time for ten weeks in the summer. Research and creative work is generally completed under the close supervision of a faculty member. Each Scholar will receive a stipend of $4,000. Please contact the Undergraduate Research Program with any questions regarding Summer Scholars eligibility or how to get involved in the program.
The 2020 Summer Scholars Application will open on January 3rd, 2020 and will close on March 1st, 2020 at 5:00pm.
Application Materials Will Include:
- Biographical information
- Your GPA
- A detailed description of the project you will be working on – including how many hours per week you plan to work over the summer
- An unofficial copy of your transcript
- Your essay should include a description (maximum 500 words) of your proposed research project and an explanation (maximum 250 words) of why participating in undergraduate research is important to your career goals.
- A letter of recommendation from the faculty member who has agreed to sponsor your research
- Application Note: The application system will ask you for the name, department, and email of the faculty member who has agreed to sponsor your research. Once you submit the application, the system will email the faculty member with a link and instructions to upload a letter of recommendation. You are not responsible for uploading this letter to your own application, but you are responsible for communicating with your faculty sponsor so that they expect the email and are aware of the deadline.